"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

Friday, March 2, 2012

What have we been doing?

Well, I don't know...there's always something going on! We had a fun trip to the water park with some friends. We've been healthy, the weather has been wonderful!! We've had some great family days together, just making memories every chance we can get.


We have been working on a common issue with the boys....FINE MOTOR DEVELOPMENT. Yuck! They have these issues because of me and my phobia of messes. I banned play doh early on in their life. Crayons make me cringe...they get peeled, broken, and everything gets colored besides the paper they were supposed to color on. Scissors make me envision gaping bloody wounds that require trips to the ER. So because of my fears, the boys are now having to play catch up because they have weak hand muscles. This makes me feel horrible!! Noah has finally caught up. His writing amazes me, coloring is much better, and scissor work no longer brings tears of frustration His new skill he learned this week, after many, many tears and trying over and over again...tying his shoes! Yay! I'm so proud of him.
This is a little board I purchased that helps them learn

Nathan has lots of work to do! We've been working on play doh daily (anyone who knows me know what a huge deal this is for me). He's doing better with scissors, and the crayons...well, at least he doesn't act like he's holding a snake that may bite him at any moment. I bought a new game called "Food Stand Avalanche". He's really enjoyed it and it helps with his pincher grasp. He's gotten so good now he eats his snacks with the tweezers!!
Food Stand Avalanche game
What has been my lesson throughout all this? Well, that my selfishness can hinder their growth to put it simply. This is another reason why I feel like I wouldn't do very well with homeschooling. But, I am trying so hard to learn from this, to let them be boys and do all they need to grow and develop at normal rates! I'm thankful God gives us such grace through these parental mistakes, and has created children so perfectly made that they can catch up at rapid rates. His design for us is always so flawless!!
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment