"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

Friday, April 27, 2012

God promises

Yesterday on our way home from an exhausting, yet fun filled day, we were hit by a massive rain storm. The boys got soaked and were crying like their skin was about to melt off. As the storm passed and the sun started coming out, I kept reminding them it was the PERFECT time for a rainbow. Sure enough....

What a beauty! It had been years since I had seen a full blown rainbow like that and boy did it bless my socks off! Instantly the attitude in the car changed from sour to awe. As we got a little closer to home the rainbow seemed like it was following us. This is a shot in our neighborhood....


And then finally as we approached our driveway, the rainbow was positioned perfectly right over our home. I just can't tell you how much moments like that make me feel so close and loved by God. Click on the pictures to see larger.

We had lots of time to discuss the rainbow and why God created rainbows. For those of you who don't remember, it was God's promise to Noah that He would never flood the earth to destroy people and animals again (Genesis 9:8-17). This got me thinking a lot about God's promises. There are so many. "Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." 2 Peter 1:4. There, it says it right there in the Bible that God has given us promises. So many that if I could remember them, and claim them, maybe it would take some anxiety out of my daily living. It's easy to worry about the future, but when God makes a promise, He keeps it. I'm listing below a few of my favorite promises from the Bible.

1. Peace - This is something that some people may never have in their hearts. I find that when I get busy in life, or my mind starts to worry about things that really are out of my control, I lose my peace. But, God has freely given us this peace anytime we ask or seek it.
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

2. God has given us a way to get to heaven. No it's not by being a good person, even though that's important. But he doesn't want us to ever boast that we worked our way to heaven. There's nothing that we could ever do that is good enough to get us there. God promises us full forgiveness of our sins through faith and acceptance of His son Jesus Christ. (Rom 5:8,9, 1Cor 15:3, Eph 1:7, Col 1:14,Is 53:5,6...I could list scripture for hours that promises the redemption through Jesus Christ...truly this is the best fulfilled promise in the bible or the history of the world.)

3.Guidance - Let's be honest. You don't really get a personalized handbook that comes with your child. Both of my children are completely different and come with their own set of challenges and joys. God promises us that He will guide us and instruct us, in all decisions, but especially raising our children (no matter how crazy they may be at times!) Ps 32:8 "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye". We've got the bible to help us as our handbook but in case if that isn't enough for you, God promises to leave you a special helper that is always with you. Jn 14:26 “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.”

4. You will find Him when you need Him - Sometimes you can get in a place that's dark and you just don't feel God's presence. But He promises time and time again, if you seek Him, You WILL find Him. Lk 11:9,10,13, Mat 6:33, Ps 34:4, Ps 50:15

5. Ability - Have you ever felt like you just don't have what it takes to be all God asks of you? God promises us that He will equip us with all we need to complete His will. Phil 2:13, Heb 13:21, Ps 18:32

There is so much more I could write about but these are a few of my favorites. I would love to hear some of your favorite promises too so leave me a comment if you want to share. Don't forget to see my post below and enter your email address into my Mother's Day drawing prize pack (remember you don't have to do anything it asks besides submit your name).

Claim God's promises as TRUTH! The Bible is full of them, go get you some!

No comments:

Post a Comment