"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The battle of the bulge...a raw post

The following picture is awful. But it made us laugh and laugh. The chipmunk setting on my new laptop.


The truth is though, that chipmunk face is what I see in the mirror most days. I struggle with weight issues on a daily basis. I've been on diet on and off for years. I've currently been on the Body by Vi diet since the end of June. Probably the longest fad diet I've been able to stick with. I get up around 5 am every morning so I can have my quiet time and workout before everyone gets up. But I still don't feel like it's enough. It's hard to stay fit after birthing 2 babies. And often, so often, I get obsessed with my worth as a person based on my looks. I know that is not what matters, but it is hard to not fall into that trap and that cycle of defeat. God gave me some words last night that hit me hard. I was made in His image. When I complain about that face in the mirror, I'm complaining about God. I'm complaining about who he delicately and lovingly crafted me to look like, to act like. When my focus is on my weight, my focus is not on the cross. Clever trick of the devil to keep us distracted and deflated to the point that we feel like we are not good enough for the kingdom of God. But we are. And we were made for His glory. If you are reading this and struggle with weight issues like me, I'm going to pray this prayer for you and me right now. Make sure you read the verse below my last picture, it is made for  perfect for moments like this...

Dear God,
I am praying right now for my brothers and sisters who struggle with weight, just like me. I pray that you will let the truth ring louder than the lies. The truth that we were perfectly made in Your image, for Your glory.  I pray for confidence in Christ, that may have never been there before, to be there in abundance. Confidence and peace that surpasses all understanding, confidence that we can do all things that you have created us to do...no matter what we look like, how well we speak, or how much we are liked by others. Help us to shift our focus from our insecurities, to the cross, where You gave it ALL for us. We ask this all in Jesus name, Amen!







Can you say this verse out loud, emphatically and claim it as truth....from Psalm 139:14, "I, (insert name), praise you because I (insert name) am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

3 comments:

  1. I just want to add, because I've had a few emails about this already....I know that God wants us to be healthy. He desires us to take very good care of His temple he created for us. But there comes a time, when you make great efforts to eat better, exercise, and the insecurities are still there. That's the time when enough is enough with the self-destruction. Stay on the course to being a healthier you, but give yourself grace if those numbers on the scale are not what YOU want them to be. Don't focus on the numbers, focus on Jesus...and He will help you to be that healthier, content YOU that He created you to be. Hope that helps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think people who havent struggled with these issues don't fully undertand kerry..but i wholeheartedly do. its something you lay down and surrender...some times harder than others..fortunately for me the distraction of children has done wonders for me:) and i've found in my own journey...identifying the lies and speaking the truth..helps alot as well as just simply keeping your eyes on jesus. another thing that has helped is coming to the realization that you can be your best you..but not striving for unrealistic expectations or getting bogged down in that comparison trap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're exactly right, Lorrie. It's a battle that you have to lay down over and over again. An aha moment for me, I suppose. You'd think I'd get this after all these years. I'm always thankful for that journey we had together battling the ups and downs of this among other things! You're always an encouragement. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete