"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pasta with Beans and Greens recipe

This is what I'm serving for dinner tonight, my actual bowl I just ate :) . It is one of Eric's favorite dishes. According to the Southern Living book for which I give credit to, it boasts generous amounts of protein, fiber, complex carbohydrates, iron, and calcium. In other words, it's healthy but not yucky. Someone ate my mushrooms earlier in the week (Eric), so I had to make this meal sans mushrooms. I normally use them though. :)
Ingredients
  • 8 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 (6-ounce) package portobello mushroom caps, halved and sliced*
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 cups chopped fresh kale or spinach (about 6 ounces)
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (15-ounce) can great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Preparation
  • Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Place pasta in a large bowl; set aside.
  • Saute onion and mushrooms in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 5 minutes. Add kale and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring often, 15 minutes or until kale is tender. Add beans, and cook 1 minute.
  • Add bean mixture to pasta; toss gently. Sprinkle with cheese.
  • *1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms may be substituted.
There may be a question in your head...do your children eat this? The answer is sadly, no. Nathan won't even look at it, but Noah really enjoys the noodles and cheese. I make it because Eric enjoys it so much, probably for the health factor!

1 comment:

  1. There is never a lack of beans in your meals. You had me at bow tie pasta and lost me at kale and beans. Pretty bowl, though.

    ReplyDelete