"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

Friday, December 30, 2011

Uncovering some hidden blessings

We've been really sick in this house for a few weeks, the worst of it being this week, and Noah has been the sickest. Yesterday I decided to start putting away my Christmas decorations because I was going stir crazy. As I was looking for a spot to put my decorations I remembered a little door in the boys' closets. The door is so tiny I didn't give the space behind it much thought until I looked in.




Yay! What a treasure! I can get all my trees, decorations, and lots more. This was SUCH a blessing to me yesterday, because I really feel better emotionally when my house is not cluttered.


As I was starting to take down the decorations, Noah wanted to help. He's been feeling rotten and he was getting bored. I really did not want to let him help me though. I had a technique, I wanted everything wrapped carefully, and I wanted to selfishly do a task by myself because I had not had any "ME" time. But the little guy was so persistent, and he was so good at spotting just the ornament I was looking for. He carefully handed me tissue paper as soon as I needed it. He helped me carry the boxes of decorations up the stairs. Some were incredibly heavy, like the big tree box, and I really don't know if I would have gotten it up the stairs had he not been so persistent on the tail end pushing with his whole body. I did not ask him to do all that, I didn't want him to do it, but he did it so cheerfully and wouldn't take no for an answer. Once we got that big tree box upstairs I couldn't get it through that little tiny door for anything. I was so frustrated and disappointed because that space was so valuable. Noah kept trying to help and I kept saying, "stand back, you're in my way, I can do this!!". Finally, he says to me, "Um, mommy, why don't you try to turn this box this way" and he used all his energy and I rolled my eyes but helped him....and it fit....perfectly. Gosh I was humbled by his brains and his spirit and I couldn't stop praising him for all his hard work, help, and sheer genius in getting that box through that little hole!! Putting away decorations was so much easier with his help. really, a five year old made THAT much of a difference. He was so proud of himself and it just brightened his face, his mood, and he so needed that time with me to be helpful.

I couldn't help but think about our relationship with God. How many times does He want to cheerfully and eagerly lighten our load, ease our burdens, cleanse our sins, show us the better way? And how many times do we (I'm really speaking of me here), just want to handle it all on our own. WE know the better way, we can handle all the burdens, WE can fix the problems ourselves. We don't need that sin taken away because we need that ME time and don't want to change that. But God is ready, cheerfully, waiting for us to use Him.... to spend that time with us, and have His moment to be proud that He could help us. Thank you, God, for teaching me a powerful lesson through my child. God knows how to reach us, we just have to be moldable to those teachable moments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment