"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

Friday, January 13, 2012

Car accidents, tornadoes, and C. diff - A week in Review

I feel like I may be able to write a country music song based on the title of this blog. But these are some of the major happenings that we have personally experienced over the past week.



Last Friday we were in a minor car accident. In the pictures in is very hard to see the damage to the truck, there's a reason for that. There's very little damage!! The car that rear ended us was TOTALED! Talk about angels providing protection over your vehicle! The boys were unharmed and I had a minor case of whiplash. My bible verse the morning of the accident was :"We prayed that he would give us a safe journey and protect us, our children, and our goods as we traveled" Ezra 8:21. Coincidence? I think not!! The devotional was talking about the importance of praying for you and your family as you travel. God answered in a mighty way.

As I mentioned in my last blog, Noah has been sick a lot. His strep would not go away so they put him on IV strength antibiotics to get rid of the strep. A few days after the car accident he started getting severe stomach pains and bloody diarrhea. Picture below is our return visit to the dr. I think this was the 6th visit in the past few weeks.

Please notice their hands. They are clasped on their laps. They do not want germs, I do not want germs or anymore return visits to the dr. This visit proved to be beneficial since he tested positive for C. diff bacterial infection in his stomach. This is a very serious infection that could make him very sick or even kill him. But, we caught it so quickly, started his medicine "without haste", his diarrhea stopped by the end of the day and the only complaint he has is occasional stomach pains. We are thankful it wasn't more serious and that he felt so much better so quickly...really it is almost a miracle. But God's in the business of doing that sort of thing.


The day after the C. Diff diagnosis our little community was hit with a very rare January tornado. Our weather radio went off and I checked the weather on my phone so we were able to get to the basement before the phones went dead and the power went out. It was very scary not knowing what was going on but I tried to keep it light to not let on to the boys that I was scared.

Here we are in the room in our basement that is completely underground. After 10 minutes of being in the pitch black, I remembered our emergency bin with all our flashlights and lanterns! Fun times with the lights out and lots of fancy flashlights!

There were about 50 homes that were severely damaged or destroyed during the tornado. Several homes as close as a mile to us were destroyed. Our neighborhood lost power and have several trees and other debris but for the most part we were completely untouched. We had a little wind damage to our porch roof, some downed trees (that were nowhere close to our house) and a trashy yard due to the windy conditions. Even though the damage was severe around us, not one person lost their life. So thankful for that. Below are a few pictures of our leaning trees and trashy yard.


Again, angels surrounded our family and protected us. That's the theme for my week in review. Some circumstances that could have been tragedies, were really blessings because we were protected so carefully and lovingly this past week. We were also able to see God's protection in such a tangible way. It gives me chills. There's so much to be afraid of in this world, and I am the world's worse about fearing every little thing. But, with God as my rock, what are those things? I praise God for watching over the O's this past week. His mercy has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

Psalm 27:1-6
The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness that week is behind you. Glad that you can move forward and hope that the sickness stays far far away.

    ReplyDelete