"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

Monday, August 22, 2011

Orientation Day

Since today was the last day we had together before school starts tomorrow, Noah and I had some quality time on our porch with the red rockers. We just sat and rocked while Nathan was napping. We talked about silly things like toads ....and important things like what is college going to be like (for some reason he kept telling people all day today he was going to college tomorrow). So he's a little confused but I'm sure the pain I will feel tomorrow as I drop him off will be similar to those mamas who have suffered through their first weekend without their new college freshman.
After being out on the porch for a while, Noah stepped inside for a minute and when he returned he said, " I am sooo sorry! That took longer than I expected. I had to use the bathroom and THEN I had to wash my hands!" The way he said just made me laugh because he sounded so proper like a garden club lady. He sounded like a little man. :)

Today was great as Noah was able to meet his teacher Mrs. Fox. She's the one with the white jacket. She has a great smile and a kind voice. We both instantly loved her! Noah was so happy to see his seat, with his name, an apple, and a treat bag.  There are 10 children in his class, and I think that is wonderful.


Above are a few things I thought were special on the walls. One of the things is the chart labeled "Honorable Character". This is what the entire school will be using in lieu of the disciple card flipping they used before. Instead of using negative reinforcement when a child misbehaves (card flips), they reward the children for good behavior, and note areas that they need to refine. See this link if you are interested more. It is a really great system that you can even use at home. http://www.honorablecharacter.com/

I think all in all it was a good day. The teacher gave me permission to walk Noah to the classroom on his first day but after that, we have to drop him off at the front of the school. I think the two of us have a lot of growing up to do this week and I'm so glad we had some quiet time today to talk about toads and college. I'll treasure these moments forever.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Again, almost made me cry. My children will never leave our house. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete